PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
The Charles Bender Performing Arts Center, formally the Charles Bender High School, was built in 1929. It was Humble’s only high school from 1930 through 1965. Originally built on the location of the old Humble Grammar School that was destroyed by fire in 1929, the building was designed by architect, Harry D. Payne.
Charles Bender High School was one of the most advanced school buildings in Harris County when it opened in 1930 because it had a built-in cafeteria. It’s interesting to note that the former Texas Governor Pat M. Neff was the main speaker at the dedication ceremony on February 22, 1930.
Over the years, the building has had many uses:
- High School (1930-1965)
- Middle School (1965-1972)
- District Administration (1974-1992)
- Curriculum & Staff Development (1992-2003)
In 2011, Humble ISD gave the building to the City of Humble. Under Mayor Donnie McMannes, the building was restored and renovated the building into a fully functioning Performing Arts Center in the heart of the city of Humble. Humble alumni, Scott Brady was the architect on the project.
The newly renovated Charles Bender Performing Arts Center opened in April 2015. With a full season of exceptional performing and visual arts for the entire community to enjoy, the Bender has become a top entertainment spot for renowned artists from across the country.